Forming the backbone of Energy and Telecoms
Prysmian operates in the business of underground and submarine power transmission and distribution cables and systems, special cables for applications in many different industrial sectors and medium and low voltage cables for the construction and infrastructure industries. With reference to telecommunications , the Group manufactures cables and accessories for the voice, video and data transmission market, offering a comprehensive range of optical fibres, optical and copper cables and connectivity systems.
The Energy Projects Operating Segment , includes high-tech and high value-added businesses where the focus is on the project and its execution, as well as on product customization, namely: terrestrial High Voltage, Submarine and SURF, grouping umbilical cables, flexible pipes and down-hole technology cables for the petrochemical industry.
The Energy Products Operating Segment , includes businesses characterised by the ability to offer a comprehensive and innovative product portfolio that can meet the most diverse market demands: Energy & Infrastructure (including Power Distribution and Trade & Installers) and Industrial & Network Components (including Specialties & OEM, Oil & Gas, Elevators, Automotive and Network Components).
The Telecom operating segment makes cable systems and connectivity products used in telecommunication networks. The product portfolio includes optical fibre, optical cables, connectivity components and accessories, OPGW (Optical Ground Wire) and copper cables.
- Prysmian designs, produces and installs high and extra high voltage cables and systems for the underground and submarine power transmission directly from power stations to primary distribution grids. The Group develops the most advanced “turnkey” submarine cable systems through Prysmian Powerlink Services Ltd. These systems include installations down to a depth of 2,000 metres laid using the “Giulio Verne” cable-laying vessel, one of the largest and most technologically advanced ships in the world. Prysmian also offers cutting-edge services for constructing submarine energy connections for offshore wind farms, ranging from project management to cable installation, using the Cable Enterprise cable-laying vessel. The Group’s technologies for this business include cables for wind turbine operation, cables for connecting the various turbines and for onshore connection.
- The Group also offers a complete range of SURF (Subsea Umbilical, Riser and Flowline) products and services for applications in offshore exploration activities and designed for the petrochemical industry. The portfolio includes: multi-purpose umbilical cables to transport energy, telecommunications, fluids and chemicals; high-tech flexible pipes and ducts for offshore oil drilling; special DHT (Downhole Technology) cables, which include cables to control downhole instrumentation, power cables and hydraulic fluid cables. .
- Within the energy transmission and distribution field the Group produces medium-voltage cables and systems for connecting industrial and residential structures to primary distribution grids, and low-voltage ones for energy distribution and building wiring. Prysmian solutions are created to support utilities and grid operators, industrial operations, installers and electric power wholesalers. In particular, products developed for the Trade & Installers market are designed for wiring buildings and distributing energy to or within commercial and residential structures. Fire-resistant cables with low emission of toxic gases and smoke enhance one of the most extensive and complete product ranges in the world. .
- The integrated wiring solutions proposed by the Group for the Industrial market provide a comprehensive and technologically advanced response to the needs of a broad variety of industrial sectors. For the Specialties and OEM business, Prysmian offers cable systems for various specific industrial applications such as trains, aircraft, ships, seaports, cranes, mining, nuclear, defence and petrochemical industries and include power, instrumentation and control cables for a range of exploration, production, processing and storage activities. Further solutions are developed for the elevator market, such as flexible connectorized and hoistway cables, and for the automotive industry, in which the Group works closely with the major international automotive makers. The product range is completed with accessories and network components for connecting cables and other grid elements.
- Prysmian Group offers a wide portfolio of products specifically designed for the Oil & Gas Industry, including SURF (Umbilical & Flexible Pipes), Downhole Technology, artificial lift applications and "core" cable solutions to support the sector across the entire supply chain.
- The core product offer includes power (high, medium & low voltage) and control & instrumentation cable (including fiber optical applications) system to serve drilling, upstream, midstream and refinery petrochemical applications. The portfolio is completed with a wide range of solutions to comply with offshore and artic applications.
- The SURF product range includes subsea umbilical, both thermoplastic and steel tube, as well as flexible pipes. Assistance to installation & commissioning services are part of Prysmian support to our Customers.
- The full portfolio is well complemented by the range of products in the sector of Downhole equipment such as Tube encapsulated cables (TEC), Downhole Fiber Sensing Cables, flatpacks, protectors and artificial lift cables.
- Prysmian state-of-the-art cable systems support many O&G Customers, EPC's and Shipyards. Whether they're deployed in Middle East, Africa, Gulf of Mexico, Brazil, North Sea or Asia, our solutions are helping Customers to optimize the total cost of ownership while delivering high and sustainable performances.
- With centres of excellence in Battipaglia (Italy), Eindhoven (Netherlands) and Douvrin (France), and 4 other production sites around the world, Prysmian Group is a leading manufacturer of the fundamental component of every type of optical cable: optical fibre. A wide range of optical fibres is designed and made to cater to the broadest possible spectrum of customer applications, such as single-mode, multimode and specialty fibres. The Group also has at its disposal every currently available technology for the manufacture of optical fibre, and so is able to achieve optimal solutions for the different applications.
- Optical fibres are employed in the production of a wide range of standard optical cables or those specifically designed for challenging or inaccessible environments, from underground ducts to overhead electricity lines, from road and rail tunnels to gas and sewage networks.
- Prysmian Group also supplies passive connectivity solutions that ensure efficient management of optical fibre within networks. Growing demand for higher bandwidth has seen the deployment of optical fibre moving closer to the end user. The Group is extremely active in this rapidly growing sector of the market, known as FTTx, where its approach is based on combining existing technologies with innovative, new solutions allowing fibres to be deployed in high-rise buildings and multi-dwelling units. Many of the cables used in FTTx systems feature Prysmian's bend-insensitive BendBrightxs optical fibre, which has been specially developed for this application.
- Prysmian Group also produces a wide range of copper cables for underground and overhead cabling solutions and for both residential and commercial buildings. The product portfolio comprises cables of different capacity, including broadband xDSL cables and those designed for high transmission, low interference and electromagnetic compatibility.
- The Group produces cable solutions serving communication needs in infrastructure, industry and transport for a variety of applications: cables for television and film studios, cables for rail networks such as underground cables for long-distance telecommunications, light-signalling cables and cables for track switching devices, as well as cables for mobile telecommunications antennae and for communication networks.